Top Points to Manage a Crisis
Create a crisis management plan and a designated team to implement it.
- Designate a single spokesperson to release statements and field questions from the public. If other crisis management team members are contacted with questions, they should refer them to the spokesperson.
- The spokesperson will also lead in the implementation of the crisis management plan.
- Team members should not deviate from the plan until further action is discussed with the spokesperson.
- Determine the parties affected by the issue and maintain continuous communication. Good communication includes individual meetings and/or phone calls with key players.
- Board members should be notified of the creation of a crisis management plan, and, in the event of an emergency, be kept informed of crisis management actions and progress.